As I have stated previously I really don’t like the term Bucket List – I hate the idea that I will one day kick the bucket with a scribbled list of failures. Also, as previously stated I think that they are so constricting.
For example on my first “Life List” I had “Travel East Coast in a Combi Van” – when on holiday in Cairns when I was 14 I saw so many bronzed backpackers living their lives on the road – away from parents, away from distractions, living life fast and lose – well that’s how it appeared to my adolescent eyes.
Years later I did travel all of the East Coast… but instead of doing it in a Combi Van I did it in my little Ford Festiva. After seeing all the dark campsites and Wicked Vans on the side of the road I was so happy to be in my little bomb of a car, with cheap petrol – hostels seemed like a luxury! So does that count, can I claim that? Or do I have to wait until I buy a Combi Van and go again?
So I have decided to make Wish Lists and let them be as flexible as needed – the aim is not to have items crossed off so that one day I have a long list of crossed out items. Instead once an item has been completed it will be removed and another will take its place – therefore the list will be ever growing and evolving – like a tree – like life itself!
My list below has been growing ever since I was little – some things have been removed after they have been completed, like seeing Uluru and learning how to Ski in New Zealand – my insperation for the items below have come from far and wide… but the biggest contributor would have to be the man himself: David Attenborough!
TRAVEL WISH LIST
- See Pemba with my Mum – where she volunteered for three years in the 70s in Africa
- Walk a section of the great wall of China
- Ride a Camel in a Desert
- Participate in the tomato throwing festival
- Walk the Inca Trail
- Play David Attenborough in the African Savanah
- See an Emperor Penguin Colony in Antarctica
- Visit St Petersburg and hunt for Anastasia and travel down to the Black Sea and Crimea for some Royal relaxing!
- Party on an island(s) in Greece
- Go paragliding – the only time I think I will be able to handle an extreme air adventure activity
- Fly First Class
- Spend a week exploring Istanbul
- Wonder the lost streets of Pompeii
- Hike up to base camp 1 on Everest
- See a grizzly bear in Canada… or Alaska – where ever they be hanginig
- Visit the Bermuda Triangle and come back to tell the tale (of cocktails and palm trees that is)
- Complete my diving ticket in Belize
- FreeSwim with great white sharks
- Eat dinner at the famous Djemaa El Fna in Morocco
- White water raft on snow melt in Iceland.
- Sail into Finland in time for the Northern lights – dogsledding wouldn’t go astray either.
- Walk down and then up the Grand Canyon
- Walk up an active volcano and look down at the boiling beyond.
- Party at Rio Carnival!
- Explore the Galapagos islands
- Have a drink in an Irish pub in Ireland.